Will the synchronize option delete files?

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
SvenBakker

Will the synchronize option delete files?

Postby SvenBakker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:49 pm

Hello, I have a trial version and thinking of buying this software as I have many photos and videos as a musician.
I tried for the second option ("Synchronisation"), because I want 2 harddisks to contain the same files, but while running its says: "copying and deleting files".
Offcourse I tried it first with unimportant files, but before doing the real thing I want to be totally shure hat no files are deleted from any of the disks.
Why does it say: copying and DELETING files (in Dutch: kopieren en verwijderen)? What's going to be deleted?
Thanks![img]
PrintscreenSyncback.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
PrintscreenSyncback.jpg
PrintscreenSyncback.jpg (86.32 KiB) Viewed 236 times

Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Will the synchronize option delete files?

Postby Conrad Chung » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:36 am

As you are using a Intelligent Synchronization profile, it will copy (as well as delete) files in either direction (left to right or right to left) in order to keep both sides synced.

A Intelligent Synchronization profile will keep track of what changed the last time the profile was run so that it knows if a file has been deleted, created, or changed since the last profile run. The profile will then replicate the changes (including deletions) from one side to the other. So assuming if you delete a file from the left side, the profile (after scanning) will (by default) replicate the changes to the other side (in this case, delete the file on the right side) in order to keep both side synced.

For more information, please refer to your program contextual Help file on Synchronization, or you can refer to this page:

https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/help/synchronize.htm

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:54 am

SvenBakker wrote:...before doing the real thing I want to be totally shure hat no files are deleted from any of the disks

As Conrad stated, by default a Intelligent Synchronization profile will replicate deletions (absences) since last run - if there are any such. You can change the defaults by

Modify profile > Expert mode > Decisions-Files page

and pick a different Action for the 4 situations listed as '...a file is deleted from....'. You can choose to Skip such situations, or to Prompt [you] (provided the profile is not being run Unattended, Scheduled, etcetera - if so it will fall back to Skip). Or, you can rely on the fact (which you have stated that you believe) that there will never be any deletions; if so, these 4 settings are irrelevant in your case, and will never be invoked.

Or, you can rely on the fact that before you get to the stage you are querying, the profile will tell you (in the Differences window, assuming you do not run the profile Unattended, etcetera) if it proposes to delete anything when you click Continue. If so, it will tell you which files they are (you may need to scroll the window's contents), with the opportunity to change the delete Action(s) to something else.

SvenBakker wrote:Why does it say: copying and DELETING files (in Dutch: kopieren en verwijderen)?

think of this as "copying and/or deleting'. It is meant to tell you which stage the profile is performing (compared to 'scanning', for example). For speed/efficiency reasons, the text does not toggle to reflect exactly what it is doing relative to the current file. Nor does the text vary if you have set all the '...a file is deleted from...' settings to Skip.

SvenBakker

Postby SvenBakker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:23 pm

@cliffhanger and @Conrad Chung Really thanks for the reply! It's cclear and especially
think of this as "copying and/or deleting'. It is meant to tell you which stage the profile is performing (compared to 'scanning', for example). For speed/efficiency reasons, the text does not toggle to reflect exactly what it is doing relative to the current file.
was what I was looking for.

Kind regards, Sven

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”