Zip Dropbox files to local drive - no files found

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
mstorm_imas

Zip Dropbox files to local drive - no files found

Postby mstorm_imas » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi,

I am evaluating SyncBackPro. I want it to copy Dropbox files to a local drive, zipped (and encrypted).

The connection with Dropbox is working. Files are being copied to the selected folder when set up without compression. However as soon as I enable the 'Compress the files on Dropbox into a Zip file' and run the task, the result is 'Success, however no files were found'. Not any file is copied and no zips are to be found. I see the warning that compression to a single file is disabled, but if I understood it correctly it should be possible to get every file in a separate zipfile, compressed (and encrypted). Can anyone confirm that this is possible and what settings should be looking at to make this work?

Thanks in advance,

Mathias

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Zip Dropbox files to local drive - no files found

Postby cliffhanger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Sorry, can't be done (at least, not with a single* profile). This KB article explains why not (the reason/limitation also applies to Cloud servers as well as FTP servers, email servers, etc.). To clarify
'Compress the files on Dropbox into a Zip file'

more 'lengthily' means 'Compress the files [copied to - thus, stored ] on Dropbox into a Zip file' - or (conversely, so files stored on DropBox are downloaded to 'local storage' as you are trying to do) 'treat the files on Dropbox' as though they are compressed already' (i.e. 'download them then decompress them')

And of course, such a profile will (with Compression switched in) look for compressed files** on the cloud side, and not find any (unless you have any files there that are zipped already) - hence the 'No [compressed] files found' error that you got with Compression (on cloud side) switched in.

* the only way is to have two profiles in a Group (run sequentially) where profile-1 copies 'raw' files from Dropbox to a local or LAN buffer location (uncompressed/unencrypted) and then profile-2 (set to use compression/encryption) copies/compresses/encrypts those raw local files from the buffer to a compressed/encrypted local location (disk, LAN, etc). Of course this means you need to maintain a local (non-cloud) buffer location storing unencrypted copies of the cloud files, which I guess you don't want or you would be planning to store them that way in the first place.

** in more detail, the profile will be looking for files with the same extension as specified in Compression > Advanced > Filename extension to decompress - which it is unlikely to find unless you uploaded some (given that this is the opposite of what you are trying to do). If it did happen to find some, it would of course try to decompress/decrypt them after download/before storing the result locally.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:07 pm

PS: all the above is why the New Profile wizard will not let you select Dropbox on one side and Compression on the other (disk/LAN) side.
Try again & notice how the Compression checkbox is only available on the Cloud side as soon as you select a Cloud (or FTP, etc.) protocol

mstorm_imas

Postby mstorm_imas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:01 am

Wow, thanks Cliffhanger for your elaborate response! :) Even though it was not what I was hoping for, at least I know what options I have left.

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”