API for SyncBackPro?

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
Swifty
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

API for SyncBackPro?

Postby Swifty » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:38 am

Does SyncBackPro have an API?

I'm daydreaming of writing a program which could remove a sub-directory from a profile. It would then deduce the location of the corresponding backup directory and remove that. If I'm not backing up that directory, then there's usually no reason to keep the backup directory.

Swifty
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: API for SyncBackPro?

Postby Swifty » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:43 am

One moment after starting this thread I realised that what I'm trying to achieve could be implemented more easily in SyncBackPro than via an API and an external program.

So, here is the associated suggestion:

When I mark a subdirectory not to be backed up, could I have a popup window asking me if I wanted to delete the corresponding backup directory?

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:48 am

Hi, there's something similar available already (in V8) once you have unticked a folder and you then select/highlight it, then right-click the selection/s. There is no pop-up prompt, but the option to delete such unticked folder/s (on the side to which SB would copy/update it if not unticked) is now available on-demand in the context menu if you right-click the selection/s* in the Choose... dialog. Similarly, there is an option 'Do not delete' to undo your decision/s before committing yourself by closing the Choose... dialog (and in due course running the profile). You can also go back and undo/modify the decision/s by opening the Choose... dialog again (but obviously not if you have run the profile by then - your deletion/s will have been performed already at that point). Note the comment in the linked post from mickyj that such unwanted-folder deletions will not show up in the Differences window (they will have been deleted by then), but the deletions will be listed in the log for that run. Thus, you cannot undo such Delete decisions at runtime, so you select/instruct them at your own risk.

Note: it appears the option to delete such a Destination (etc) folder is available even if the folder does not (now?) exist on that side (and is displayed that way in the Choose... dialog, e.g. for a Mirror Right that folder's icon is displayed but 'in faint'). I assume 2BS decided to keep the logic in the Choose... dialog as uncomplicated :wink: as possible, and SB will simply shrug/move on if anything you marked for deletion isn't in fact there anyway at the time of the attempted deletion. I guess this also neatly caters for situations where you marked a folder for deletion, but then (before running the profile) deleted such folder/s manually.

* my experiments suggest that if your selections (highlighted entries) in the Choose... dialog include some folders that are ticked and some that are unticked, right-clicking all those selections 'en masse' and opting to Delete will only affect the unticked rows in the tree. If your selections only include ticked rows, the 'Delete' & 'Do not delete' context-menu options will be ghosted/disabled.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:50 am

BTW, TBOMK there is no such thing as a SyncBack API

Swifty
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby Swifty » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks for the answers!

Swifty
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby Swifty » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:36 am

Ah.. I'm on V6, not having any compelling reason to upgrade until now.
I started the process of upgrading and was asked for my licence number.
I went into "About" where I found my serial numbers, but the last 4 characters were ****'d out. Where can I find my serial numbers in the clear?

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:49 pm

You can't retrieve them from Pro V6 except in a partially-masked form (as you found out), presumably in an attempt (at the time) to minimize drive-by piracy (someone clicking About while your PC is unattended, noting the serial & using it themselves and/or selling/publishing it). 2BS seem to have had a change of heart since (maybe too many support requests from people who have lost their 'paper' record of the purchase-confirmation email...) as you can now see it 'in clear' in V8. But if you drop an email to support[at]2brightsparks.com with your name & address, the partial V6 serial and (if known) the purchase date, I'm guessing they can fill in the gaps for you.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:52 pm

Swifty wrote:...my serial numbers...

If that plural means you originally had two serials (one SE & one Pro-upgrade), give them part-details of both up-front to save time

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”