Back up date modified/created mismatch problem

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
mattyd

Back up date modified/created mismatch problem

Postby mattyd » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:19 am

Hi All,

Im been using the SB to backup from my home computer to Amazon Drive. So far its worked wonderfully.

But my upload speeds at home are not great, so I thought if I copied the files over to a portable hard drive I could bring the files into work and upload from there where I get speeds that are 4 times faster. Ive already copied about 300gb from home to the amazon drive and want to continue the upload from work.

So this morning I plugged the portable drive in (at work) and make a new profile to continue the upload of my files.

But in the process of copying the files to the portable drive a miss match between the modified and creation dates has been created (see image).

Problem.jpg
Problem.jpg (172.76 KiB) Viewed 376 times

My question is - is there a work around, what options do I have, should I have copied the files to my portable drive differently? To me it looks like SB will simply overwrite all the files ive been uploading to Amazon Drive. None of which are any different other than the new creation/modified date.

My aim is to continue using SB from home in the long run too...uploading from two different locations (at different times) even possible?

cheers!

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Back up date modified/created mismatch problem

Postby Swapna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:28 am

Hi,

Amazon Drive does not allow the last modification date & time of a file to be changed (which our program uses to detect file differences on both sides), instead the timestamps are set to the date/time stamps they are uploaded to the server. This is the limitation of the cloud service not SyncBackPro. To get around such limitations, SyncBackPro creates a local database to store the details of the files that cannot be stored on the cloud service.

Therefore, if you want to use Amazon Drive with SyncBackPro from more than one computer, then we recommend enabling the option ‘Upload the database to the cloud’ under:

Modify > Expert > Cloud > Advanced settings page

So that any changes made to the details will be visible to all SyncBackPro installations. Please read the contextual Help for more info about this option. With Cloud > Advanced settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.

Thank you.

mattyd

Postby mattyd » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:56 am

That's cool!

Out of curriosity - how does SB on another pc get access to the database ?

Ive enabled it at home, but I cant see any database file on the cloud drive.

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:47 am

Hi,

Have you run the profile (from home PC) after enabling ‘Upload the database to the cloud’ option? If yes, then the database file will be uploaded to ‘SyncBackDB’ sub-folder on Amazon Drive server.

So, when you run the profile from your work PC, SyncBack will download that database file from server and use it to detect differences on both sides, and copies only new/changed files from source to Amazon Drive server.

Thank you.

mattyd

Postby mattyd » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:06 pm

I have another problem...

ive been uploading for days - uploaded about 10k files with 4k files remaining.

I unfortunately had to restart my pc, and now it wants to upload all 14k files again! :shock:

Any work around - or have I got to upload all 14k files uninterrupted?

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:29 am

Hi,

Please submit a support zip with debug logs of the scan phase for further investigation. To do this, enable Output debug information from Preferences menu and run the profile in manual mode (ctrl + R). When the Differences Window is displayed abort the profile run and submit the support zip as per the instructions given here:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowledgebase/articles/213970-creating-a-debug-information-file

If your Zip is over 30MB, contact us for alternate instructions, advising the actual size. Do not try to attach to the ticket!

Do not post (nor links to) Support Zips on this open forum.

Thank you.

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”