Quick temporary profile change

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
LaryW
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Quick temporary profile change

Postby LaryW » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:30 pm

I may be missing something in v8 but thought I'd ask.

I'd like a quick way to temporarily change a profiles actions rather than make a change to the settings. As an example I have a profile that will delete files under certain conditions. Sometimes I'd like to over-ride that delete command. I had hoped that by not displaying potential deleted files before the profile runs would do that but apparently not.

Is there a way I'm missing to do a quick change?

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Quick temporary profile change

Postby cliffhanger » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:37 am

It depends what the 'certain conditions' are (or are not), but if you can use one or more of the options on the Filter menu (of the Differences window) to display only those files/rows whose Action you want to change (instead of 'not display them'), you can then mass-select those rows, then right-click the highlighted rows and select another Action for (all) those rows. And/or, you can cherry-pick (and/or Shift-click, Ctrl-click, etc.) the rows in question (but not any others), then right-click (one of the) selected rows and chose an alternative Action likewise.

In your case, you could (probably?) set the Differences window to display only those proposed deletions that you do not want on a given occasion, and then set their Actions to Skip. As you've discovered, the other proposed files/Actions (that are currently not listed because of display filters) would still be processed as usual/normal.

Bear in mind that if you select multiple grid rows that differ in certain respects, Actions that are relevant to some of the selected files (but not to other selected files) will not be listed in the menu, because logically you can't perform certain Actions for some of the highlighted files. Example: if you select some rows where the files are on Source-only and some rows with files on Dest-only, then neither the Action to Copy To Dest nor the Action to Copy To Source will be offered when you right-click that selection, because your selected rows include cases where there is no file on the implied 'from' side to copy to the other side. Basically SyncBack will not let you choose Actions that it would not be capable of performing.

There are also two override buttons in the Differences window (Mirror all the files to the right and Mirror all the files to the left) which will temporarily change the Actions of a Backup or Sync profile to a Mirror Right or Mirror Left. Clicking either of these override buttons will refresh the grid entries in the Differences window to reflect the temporary 'new rules' you have asked for, with the proviso that for a standard Mirror (Right) profile, clicking Mirror all the files to the right generally changes no Actions, because they would normally be set that way already. More info in the Help on the Differences window. Note that you cannot mass-revert the new Actions back again to what they were when the Differences window originally opened except by clicking Abort and re-running the profile. You can make individual 'cherry-pick, etc.' changes before clicking Continue, but you cannot 'start again' without Abort > rerun to get back to the proposed Actions the standard profile logic will pre-offer.

OR, you could of course consider making a Copy of your profile with a new name that reflects the difference in actions, and run it only when required...

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Quick temporary profile change

Postby cliffhanger » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:45 am

Make that
cliffhanger wrote:OR, you could of course consider making a Copy of your profile with a new name that reflects the difference in actions, change the actions/configuration, and run it only when required...
;)

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”