Fail to Start before Program

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
redozbris

Fail to Start before Program

Postby redozbris » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:13 am

Howdy Everyone,

I recently upgraded my aged W2K3 server to a 2008 server (yes... I know) I had an old license, and thought may as well upgrade to take advantage of newer features. I exported all of the profiles, formatted the pc, installed some bigger drives (3TB), and reloaded OS, installed drivers/updates/service packs etc etc etc... All of which has not been done 100 times before.

Now the issue comes with the 'cloud' profiles I have setup, I have about 50 profiles, which can be broken down into three categories.

1. Backup NAS/File Servers/etc to local Drives, essentially rolling backups of the machines to local hdd's on that server
2. Backup Important File server data (eg dns records, shodow backups etc) to local HDD's
3. 'Cloud' Backups - Google Drive - Backup local important data, which is about 100mb a day (accounting and job logging) to cloud

How I go about this is as follows.

I have written a batch file, that essentially

1. Takes a copy of the database file/accounting database, and copies this to a temp directory,
2. Runs 7zip to compress the file
3. Copies that file to one of the local HDD's as a restore point, and then copies it into a set directory where
4. Sync Back copies the file from the local machine, then to the google drive

File name is essentially YYMMDDHHMMSS-Accounting.zip and YYMMDDHHMMSS-Job.zip, which get backed up to the cloud.

Now, on the 2003 machine this worked without issues, every time, for years at a time... the only time it *broke* was when the drive ran out of space, and I needed to clean out some of the old backups. Now ever since moving it from the 2003 to 2008 machine, it refuses to automatically run (well it ran once, and never again since that),

I deleted them, rebooted, closed down, remade them, made a completly new version of them not from a backup, and the same problem arises, it will not run the batch file, wait the 1200 seconds for the program to exit, and then state that its not run. If I remove the before task from running the batch file, and change it to notepad or something similar it still wont work, I've noticed that it WILL run the after batch file without issue...

The interesting part is, if I run it manually (run unatteded) it works first time every time, and this is how I've gotten around it for the last few weeks... But I would really like to see it fixed.... or a process? or anything!!

I access the machine via RDP, and have tried it in both RDP, and even went to the machine plugged in a keyboard and monitor to see if it was hiding the batch file window, no avail..

The machine is a old HP N36L 8GB Memory, 2 Core 2.6Ghz Processor, there are 5 Purple 3TB Drives, and One 500gb Blue WD Drive (OS), two external 4TB Drives via USB, and that is about it hanging off this machine.. running the process viewer and resource monitor, the machine never gets tax'ed while running single profiles, if it is running 2-3 profiles at a time, the processor tends to max out .. I've just changed the time for the profiles, so this doesnt eventuate.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Fail to Start before Program

Postby Swapna » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:10 am

Hi,

Can you please submit a support ticket to support@2BrightSparks.com with your profile configuration for further investigation.

Thank you.

redozbris

Postby redozbris » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:01 am

Lodged, thanks

redozbris

Postby redozbris » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:28 am

Follow Up for Everyone,

Support logged, got back to me in a hour Well done!

Found out that if we unticked the do not store password option (as below) profile would run, but VERY silent, the normal dos box would not come up, but looking at the file system, you can see it compressing the file, moving data, creating temps etc. So its fixed.. So it could be a solution for you!

From Support

If the problem occurs only during schedule runs, then can you please disable the option 'Do not store password' under:

Modify > When > Edit Schedule > Security tab

and schedule the profile to run in the next 5 minutes to see if it helps?

If it does not work, then schedule the profile to run only when the user is logged-in (Run only when user is logged on) and ensure you are logged-into Windows prior to the schedule run and check if it works?

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”