The dreaded "Cannot access the file" for the system registry

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
garrywww

The dreaded "Cannot access the file" for the system registry

Postby garrywww » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:46 am

Hi -

I'm a longtime (10 yrs) happy Syncback user. I have a problem I can't solve. I've just noticed that, starting on May 25th, my SyncbackPro is no longer succeeding at copying the major registry files in /Windows/System32/config, nor is it copying the various C:/Users/*/ntuser.dat files. Needless to say, this is a bad thing! Before that, the copy was working.

A typical error message in the backup log file is:

"Failed to copy from C : File is locked (C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".

- Before May 25th, Syncback was copying these locked registry files with ease.
- Changing the backup method between "Standard Windows file copying" and "Backup read/write file copying" makes no difference (at least to these files.)
- I don't recall making any operating system changes on May 24th.
- No changes have occurred in the SynbackPro install tree since January, 2017.
- The "About SyncBackPro" box says I'm running V7.6.50.0.

Help!

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: The dreaded "Cannot access the file" for the system registry

Postby Swapna » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:07 am

Hi,

Please submit a support zip with debug logs of your profile for further investigation. Full instructions for generating and sending a support zip are given here:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... ation-file

If your Zip is over 30 MB, contact us for alternate instructions, advising the actual size. Do not try to attach to the ticket!

Do not post (nor links to) Support Zips on this open forum.

Thank you.

garrywww

Re: The dreaded "Cannot access the file" for the system registry

Postby garrywww » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:50 am

Fixed it!! I noticed that it wasn't just Syncback that was having problems -- System Restore was also failing. As was the Volume Shadow Copy service, I think. Then I remembered that a couple months ago, in a fit of cleanliness, I had disabled a bunch of apparently-unnecessary system services. Oops.

So I reenabled Computer Browser, TCP/IP NetBios, and Windows Management Instrumentation -- not by setting them to Automatic, just setting them to Manual. And, presto, System Restore started working again -- and Syncback resumed being able to backup all my windows/.../config files. Hurrah! Problem solved!

One comment. When I made my original post here, I received a private reply from 2BrightSparks. The private reply said "Please note that SyncBack is a backup utility designed to backup files-based data that are created by the user (that is, files created by you, e.g. documents, pictures, music, video etc.) and do not backup system files or applications"

Fortunately, SyncBack actually works really well for doing complete, almost-bootable system backups. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

("Almost-bootable" means "you have to do one registry tweak on the backup drive to make the backup drive fully bootable")

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”