For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
pOpY

Set Destination directory from file creation date

Postby pOpY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:55 am

Hey guys.

I'll want to archive the following:

[list=]
[*]An folder called "images" gets filled with JPG files from my smartphones
[*]they should be copied every night to an destination folder with the following format: destfolder\year\month\day
[*]the values should be taken from every single JPG file
[/list]

I have readed the help and some threas here about "variables" in destination folder, but sadly didnt found the rigth one :(
There is "%CREATEDDATETIME%" but help is stating, just when becking up to an email server.

Could this variable be used also when backing up to another NTFS drive, or is there another variable i can use?

thx
pOpY

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Set Destination directory from file creation date

Postby Swapna » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:25 am

Hi,

Can you please clarify your question "Set Destination directory from file creation date. the values should be taken from every single JPG file"?

Do you want to backup each file on source to a different destination directory of the format "destfolder\year\month\day", where year\month\day is the creation date of the source file?

Thank you.

pOpY

Postby pOpY » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Swapna wrote:Hi,

Can you please clarify your question "Set Destination directory from file creation date. the values should be taken from every single JPG file"?

Do you want to backup each file on source to a different destination directory of the format "destfolder\year\month\day", where year\month\day is the creation date of the source file?

Thank you.

Sorry for confusing :D thats the way ill want my backup job:

Copy each source file from source to a different destination directory of the format "destfolder\year\month\day", where year\month\day is the creation date of the EXIF metadata and if not present, the creation date of the source file. If destination file exists, skip it.

Is there currently a way to archive this?

thx
pOpY

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:02 am

Hi,

Sorry, it’s not possible, as there is no variable in SyncBack to get the creation date/time stamps of each source file.

Thank you.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:20 am

I think you need software more dedicated to 'filing/storage organization' than 'making backup copies of the filed/stored data' (which is what SB is basically designed for). I haven't tried it myself (I don't need the facility) but this freeware utility certainly sounds like it can do what you want (and more). It may take a little work configuring the program correctly to do what you want, but from a quick look at their forum you are not alone / others have the same requirement, and you may find examples & how-to's if you look for them.

(Note that I don't plan to install this, and can't offer assistance in configuring it; above info supplied without prejudice or 'warranty')

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”