Anyone using BackBlaze B2?

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
LaryW
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Anyone using BackBlaze B2?

Postby LaryW » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:21 am

Has anyone used this service? How does it compare to Amazon, Google?

im_thatoneguy
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Re: Anyone using BackBlaze B2?

Postby im_thatoneguy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:59 pm

We've been using B2 on a test basis and it works great so far. Their lifecycle rules work really well. The only downside is no Fast Backup option in Syncback.

John59224
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby John59224 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:49 am

Hi,
(im more curious with others experiences with B2 on Syncback Pro v8)

I am testing with B2 on SBP v8 , im trying to backup 3 x Win Server boxes (just starting with 1 of the 3 Win servers for now, to test with) , due to the large number of small files, its showing that the backup will take nearly 6 months to run, after running for about 48h (about 1 TB of data, but alot of small files, as is common in office settings).

this biz is on a fiber line 100/100, and im getting great speeds to B2 - the issue is that SBP v8 will only upload 1 file at a time to B2. Ive confirmed with support that multiple, simultaneous connections are only used on files above 100mb (at which pint they are essentially split and half uses 1 connection and half is sent via a 2nd, simultaneous connections).

How are others experiences with the actual upload of files to B2? ( i am also using zip compression + AES256 as thats basically a requirement for cloud backups, for security. I maybe wrong, but even without zip+encryption, i dont see where there would be a speed improvement as its still 1 file uploaded at a time + B2 api requests prior to that 1 file upload at a time)

tks

John59224
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby John59224 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:46 pm

update:

(im not trying to pick on SBP, as we still use it for local dst and network dst backups, for a few servers and its run great for years on those backups)
----

the same test folder i tried on SBP to B2, and that i let run for 7 days, but still had 8months est. remaining time, I just ran via CloudBerry backup ( same src folder, to the same backblaze B2 account) completed in about 7 hours.

Both apps are using compression, and both apps using AES256 file encryption (both one zip per file, not all files in a single archive).

I feel this is solely due to SBP only being able to upload one file at a time to BackBlaze B2.
(i have confirmed with support this is how SBP to B2 currently is coded to work- SBP will use multiple simultaneous connections on any files larger than 100mb (ie it splits the upload into 2 or 3+ parts) , but if you have several files, its only one at a time.).

I wanted to update, as if i had seen a post like this i could have saved alot of time (and 25$ or so cost of upgrading from v7 to v8, which isnt a big deal as SBP is still great at non B2 dst backups)

im_thatoneguy
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby im_thatoneguy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:53 am

This might be fixed now?

Fixed (Pro): Backblaze B2 connections not using correct number of upload and download threads
Updated (Pro): Default number of upload and download cloud threads increased to 30

I changed our settings internally to 30 and am running tests now. I think it's maxing out the pipe now... can't tell for sure.

John59224
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby John59224 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:56 am

im_thatoneguy wrote:This might be fixed now?

Fixed (Pro): Backblaze B2 connections not using correct number of upload and download threads
Updated (Pro): Default number of upload and download cloud threads increased to 30

I changed our settings internally to 30 and am running tests now. I think it's maxing out the pipe now... can't tell for sure.

Dang, please do update. But support did tell me it was only one file at a time (about 3 weeks ago), however this may have applied to the zip/encryption engine in syncback (in which case, that also needs to be fixed/updated).

No one uses cloud backup services without encrypting their data on the client side, prior to upload (and with their own enc passphrase).

I do hope SBP has fixed this (including the SBP encryption part), as i would love to use SBP on more clients with B2, but we have had to go with CloudBerry Ultimate (for win servers, ~ 300$ a license)

thanks for posting.

John59224
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby John59224 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 am

i forgot to add to my reply above (and dont see where we can edit our posts):

1- I still do use SBP for clients on their local, internal backups + sFTP dst backups (and its been very good for that)

2- i do have a seperate thread directly addressing the one file at a time issue RE: Backblaze B2 (and really all cloud providers, when you use client side encryption, which is a must w cloud)

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:49 pm

I am considering using B2 since Amazon dumped unlimited Cloud accounts. I see that SBPro does 1 file at a time, but if I have multiple sync jobs going will that work to B2? I have multiple large directories and was considering a sync job per directory to help speed up the uploads. I need to get 12TB up and want to do it the best way possible.

Thanks!

John59224
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby John59224 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:56 pm

keithl wrote:I am considering using B2 since Amazon dumped unlimited Cloud accounts. I see that SBPro does 1 file at a time, but if I have multiple sync jobs going will that work to B2? I have multiple large directories and was considering a sync job per directory to help speed up the uploads. I need to get 12TB up and want to do it the best way possible.

Thanks!

hi, AFAIK this has not been resolved (back when i posted this, the reply from SBP support was we will add this in the "future").

now keep in mind, the 1 file at a time ONLY applies to when you are using Client side Encryption (which IMO is a REQUIREMENT for any type of cloud backup). if you DONT need client-side encryption, then SBP will use multi connections (ie fast) to B2.

in our use-cases we MUST use client side encryption (ie files must be encrypted with our own passphrase, BEFORE they are sent to B2/cloud, incase B2 gets breached, our files are still safe + B2 employees cant access our files). We had 1 client w about 2TB of data another w 1.5tb, after trying ALL the client options that support B2 on Win (including our SBP lic.) we ended up going with CloudBerry.

Now a HUGE DISCLAIMER about cloud berry: (imo they are deceptive about this limit + not clear on site). if you need to use their client to backup more than 1TB of data to the cloud, you MUST get their CB Ultimate app (i think $299). the $99 CB app will work, but when you hit 1TB of data, it will stop and say u must buy CB ultimate. This is an app side / client side 1tb limit, it applies reguardless of which cloud providers to backup to (and its 1TB hard, no matter how u split up that 1TB)

anyway, CB Ultimate has worked great, offers all features (ie versioning, compression, delete after X days of local delete.. ect) + has AES Client side Encryption, and uses multi-threads when uploading to B2 (ie will max ur line, or max that B2 will allow you the take in, in our experience very fast, ie we often see 100mbit sustained, on our fiber customers).

hope this saves you alot of time that we spent (ie wasted) on getting B2 initially setup on win servers. (its great once u have it setup tho)

John59224
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby John59224 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:10 pm

(dang SBP, we still can EDIT our own posts on this fourm?? turn that on pls, even if w 15m post-post timer)

(see my reply above)- one other important requirement we had, the method in which the client side B2 app STORES our credentials, must be encrypted. (ie alot of B2 supported, lower-end Win apps STORE YOUR B2 App-key / Encryption passphrase IN PLAIN TEXT locally !!!, ie if a hacker, or more importantly ransomware, can see that data in plaintext, they then have the ability to delete your CLOUD backup)

*both* SBP and CB handle this data properly- ie they *can* store your credentials, locally, encrypted. (but many other B2 supported win apps *DONT* , ive contacted their devs and tested/verified this myself).

so that is an important consideration too. AFAIK current randsomware doesn't take "user backup deletion" this far YET, but im sure in the future they will (ie ransomware seeks out local, plaintext, cloud backup credentials, then uses them to delete to your cloud backup data,also).

Also note, that to use this feature in SBP, you must enable it in Options (first read the SBP manual on how to properly enable this, you will cause more issues than its worth if you dont know what your doing). in SBP its under Options-> encryption (BUT READ UP ON HOW TO USE properly!!)

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”