Any upgrade advice (V7 to V8)?

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
NetHawk

Any upgrade advice (V7 to V8)?

Postby NetHawk » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:29 am

Does it install over an existing V7, or separately? Should I uninstall an old version first? I know, I just could find out myself, but this is also for all the others that are asking themselves these questions. It's generally a good idea, to give some advice on upgrades, I think.

NetHawk

Re: Any upgrade advice (V7 to V8)?

Postby NetHawk » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:39 am

OK, here's the answer to this: simply install V8 OVER the existing V7 and follow the dialogs.
However, I got this error at the end of the installation (translated from German):

IPersistFile::Save failed; Code 0x80070005.
Access denied.

michael.kenward
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby michael.kenward » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:40 am

It depends on whether you are using the same "bitness".

If you read other messages around here, you will see that if you want to upgrade from 32-bit SyncBack to 64-bit SyncBack you cannot install on top of your old versions.

First export your profiles, uninstall 32-but, install 64-bit, then restore the profiles.

Tim Frost

Postby Tim Frost » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:24 am

I would add to this advice (having just upgraded from 32-bit v7 to 64-bit v8) that you should manually record your Profile Group settings before the upgrade. Only a few of my profiles were placed in their groups.

The backup sps files for the groups can however be opened as zip files and I was able to find the missing group settings and re-apply them in Syncback Pro v8.

In addition I found that all of the 'last run' column items were empty after importing, which was an annoyance for the profiles which I run manually.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:22 pm

This article in the KB explains why imported Groups may not appear. An alternative recovery method (without needing to identify Groups by name by reference to a list, or by inner inspection of the SPS files) is to simply run the whole mass Import again and if prompted that 'you have a profile of that name already', clicking No to the Overwrite? question in the prompt (note that you can't actually set No as the default - at least, it won't work if you try). For 'missing' Groups, you won't actually be prompted, because there's no 'collision' to warn you about, and it will simply go ahead and Import such Groups with just the brief info pop-ups flashing past on-screen.

If you have nested Groups, you may need to perform this repeat-Import as many times as your maximum 'depth of nesting'.

Note that for confirmation (peace of mind, etc.) you can simply count/note how many SPS files (of any type) you plan to Import, set an Import going and count how many times you click No to the 'already installed' prompts. As soon as those two numbers match, everything is presumably now installed and has 'survived the process'. If there were 'less clicks than files', repeat the Import until the numbers are the same.

Nigel Nettheim

Postby Nigel Nettheim » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:06 am

The problem is not just that a group profile might not appear after importing -- a group might appear but with the wrong contents.
The best way, in my opinion, is to make a list of the profiles, arranging them according to their nesting. Then import all the lowest-level profiles. Then import all the next-lowest level profiles, and so on until you get to your maximum-level profile.
That method could be programmed by 2BrightSparks to happen automatically.
Until that programming is done, if it is done, the program should give an advisory/warning message to the user when the user is about to import profiles including any group ones.
It is important to get this right because otherwise you might *think* you've imported the profiles properly but, if you haven't, you might have a disaster later.

Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Conrad Chung » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi Nigel, we have noted your suggestion and our development team will look into the Import process in SyncBack to make it better.

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”