How do I create a backup where only files in destination are deleted?

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
Aceman

How do I create a backup where only files in destination are deleted?

Post by Aceman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:10 am

So I have 7.6.64 and what I want to do is create a backup of my SOURCE drive on the DESTINATION drive which is a drive on a server in another office of ours. We use Windows Server and it automatically backs up files so that I have backup copies (although on the same server obviously). Therefore, all I want in the Destination is exactly what's on the Source. From what I understand if I use backup, that will leave files on the destination which I really don't want (i.e., if I delete file "Example.docx" on the Source I want it deleted on the Destination. However, I don't want the same in reverse. That is if the file "Example.docx" is deleted by someone on the Destination (this shouldn't happen) I don't wan it deleted on the Source.

The idea is if my Source server goes down all I have to do is copy all the files from the Destination and I'd have an exact backup save a few files that may be lost since the last backup of Source to Destination.

If I use Mirror or Synchronization I understand those will make the the source and destination the same meaning that if someone deletes a file on the Destination it will be deleted on the Source when SyncbackPro runs. And that's NOT what I want.

In summary, I want the destination to be an exact copy of the source but I DON'T WANT FILES DELETED ON THE DESTINATION TO BE DELETED ON THE SOURCE.

Is there a way to accomplish that?

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: How do I create a backup where only files in destination are deleted?

Post by cliffhanger » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:22 am

Aceman wrote:...From what I understand... [if] I use Mirror or Synchronization I understand those will make the the source and destination the same meaning that if someone deletes a file on the Destination it will be deleted on the Source when SyncbackPro runs. And that's NOT what I want.
You understand wrong :( (about Mirror - yes, a Sync will likely replicate 'absences' back to the source/left - but a Mirror will not, because those two profile types work differently to each other).

Both Backup (source/left to destination/right) and Mirror (likewise) are uni-directional, and never affect or alter the files on the Source. Mirror profiles make the Destination same-as-Source, yes, but not the converse. The descriptions of what each profile type does are listed here in the on-line version of the V8 Help; I cannot recall if the text was exactly the same in V7, but you can check for yourself in V7 by following the same short path through the Contents tree of the V7 Help.

A default Mirror profile (as created by the New Profile wizard, having selected 'Mirror as desired profile type) will not replicate a deletion from (more accurately*, 'an absence on') the Destination to the Source - nor will it copy any files from Destination to Source, only in the direction Source > Destination. So certainly will it not replicate the absence on Destination to Source, it will do the opposite - it will replicate the corresponding now-Source-only file to the Destination (i.e. put it back again / counteract the absence on Destination). This is by virtue of the same rule that handles new files on Source-only (again, the profile has no memory and does not actually know a file is new, only that it exists on Source and not on Destination).

* a Mirror profile has no memory and works purely by comparing file-states (absent/present/same/different) right then; it cannot tell if a file has been deleted from [wherever], only that it isn't there right then; it has no information (and forms no opinion about) how that happened.

Note: your copy of Pro is out-of-date (not counting the recently-released V8) - you should probably update to the latest V7 (7.7.0.0) - on general principles (you can update 'over the top' - no need to uninstall/re-install)

Aceman

Post by Aceman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Thank you very much Cliffhanger. To me the term "mirror" denotes the two are the same so I guess that' my confusions. In other words if you change the destination (i.e., delete a file) it would then "mirror" back to the Source so that the Source would then contain the deletion as well.

On another side note is there a way to make the mirror work more than once as day. The schedule only has "daily" as the least available. This is fine--Losing one day or part of one day's work is not a big deal but I would prefer a continuous backup or at least one that work say every hour. I get it I could create 24 separate schedules but that seems to be "clunky" way to do it.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:37 pm

It may help to bear in mind that the image in (created by) a mirror reflects your face, but the reverse does not occur (your face does not reflect the mirror)

Scheduling frequency: to achieve more than a Daily Recurrence, the Windows Task Scheduler (to which all the Scheduling functionality in SB 'drills down') provides a Repeating function for intervals shorter than that (check out the Repeating tab in the Schedule dialog in SB). You could set it to Recur daily and/but also for that daily Task instance to Repeat every hour for 23 hours, for example. There's an existing thread on the forum that goes into it in greater detail, especially about why you should not choose the Indefinitely option nor should you specify a Repeat Duration that will keep that initial Task running past the point when the WIndows Task Scheduler will try to start another daily instance of that Task c/o the Daily trigger (i.e. c/o the Recurrence setting you have in place now). Hence 'Recur Daily with Repeat hourly for 23 hours' is one suggestion for your situation (the older thread contains suggestions to cater for a different desired frequency).

I would recommend you check how long it takes on average to run your Mirror (once the base set is copied over and you are only copying changes) to make sure you do not Schedule runs too frequent for it to cope with, remembering that the scan stage (i.e. the required data transfer in bytes to achieve the scan) will likely not vary much, but that available network throughput may vary at different times of day...

You may also want to set it to start (Recur Daily) at (say) 0700 and Repeat every hour for 12 hours if there will be few nocturnal changes. No point thrashing those disks overnight looking for changes it is unlikely to find. OTOH, if your environment is a 24/7 factory....

If you have any further side notes, suggest create a fresh thread with an appropriate Subject