Fast Backups copying too many files

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
MarkC

Fast Backups copying too many files

Postby MarkC » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:30 am

Hello

I have several backup profiles that I run each Saturday morning (manually, not scheduled) - some of the profiles copy files from my pc to a usb pen drive, and some other profiles copy files from my pc to my nas drive.

The profiles are all Fast Backups and are configured to only copy files that have changed since the last backup.

This morning, I ran these backups again - the last time that I ran them was last Saturday - but today, the profiles seemed to copy hundreds, if not thousands of files, even though most of them have not changed (some of them since 2012). The same behaviour occurred with the backups to the usb pen drive and with the backups to the nas drive.

I did upgrade the Syncback Pro software from v7.6.50.0 to v7.6.64.0 on Monday this week, so maybe that's why this has happened, even though it shouldn't behave this way ?. I have noticed this behaviour once before but assumed it was a one-off glitch but now I'm not so sure.

As a result of this issue, my backups took several hours to complete, rather than the usual few minutes, so I'm wondering if you can shed any light on why this has happened.

Thanks

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Fast Backups copying too many files

Postby Swapna » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:53 am

Hi,

If SyncBackPro is proposing to recopy several files again, then most likely it has detected differences in their last modification date/time stamps and/or sizes on Source and Fast Backup database (i.e. created in the last run). If you want to know the reason for copying those files, then you can run the profile in simulation mode (select the profile from SyncBackPro's main-interface > right click > select Simulated Run from the pop-up menu) and when the Difference Window is displayed select/highlight a file that SyncBack is proposing to copy and look at the lower-left corner for a panel to understand the reason for copying that file.

If the issue occurs again, please submit a support zip with debug logs and the Differences Window screen shot showing the file that SyncBackPro proposing to recopy again for further investigation.

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... ation-file

If your Zip is over 30MB, contact us for alternate instructions, advising the actual size. Do not try to attach to the ticket!

Do not post (nor links to) Support Zips on this open forum.

Thank you.

MarkC

Postby MarkC » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:36 am

Hi

I've been able to replicate this problem and have just submitted a support ticket with debug logs etc.

Thanks for your help

Mark

MarkC

Re: Fast Backups copying too many files - again

Postby MarkC » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:03 pm

Hello

This problem seems to have re-surfaced again today after I updated from v8.2.11.0 to v8.2.18.0 this morning.

When I ran a profile on my laptop this morning, it copied many files that haven't changed recently, which is the same symptom that I had before.

So to try and capture what's happening, I thought I'd try a Simulated Run on a similar profile on my desktop pc instead.

On my desktop pc, I have a Fast Backup profilethat copies changed files from my pc to a usb pen drive - I last ran this profile 4 days ago (18/08/2017) and the copied files were as expected.

So, I right-clicked this profile and selected Simulated Run - the Differences window popped up showing 14 files were different on the source compared to the destination, 5 of which are valid differences as I've changed these files since the last backup, but the other 9 files haven't changed for several months.

Windows File Explorer shows the date and time for the 9 unchanged source files and the 9 destination files as being identical, but Syncback thinks they differ by 2 hours.

Can you help please ?

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:26 am

Hi,

Can you please submit a support zip (with debug logs) of the simulated run and File explorer screen shots of your source and destination (showing the last modification date/times stamps and sizes of those 9 files) for further investigation.

Full instructions for creating and submitting the support zip are given here:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... ation-file

If your Zip is over 30MB, contact us for alternate instructions, advising the actual size. Do not try to attach to the ticket!

Do not post (nor links to) Support Zips on this open forum.

Thank you.

MarkC

Postby MarkC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 am

Hi

I have just submitted a support zip, as requested, together with relevant screenshots.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”