Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Prompt for variable value on profile start

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
madamx

Prompt for variable value on profile start

Post by madamx »

Hello everyone
Is there a way to get SyncBackPro to prompt/ask me for the value of a profile variable every time the profile is run? I'm trying to set up a profile which allows me to choose a folder under a defined path to sync (without changing settings each time).

The use case is to allow me to copy a subset of my photos to/from my laptop (as there isn't space for all of them), where the subset to copy will change depending on what I'm working on.
Thanks.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Prompt for variable value on profile start

Post by mickyj »

Hi, you can pass the source and/or destination directories to use via the command line (see -source and -dest in the Command Line Parameters section of the help file). So one option would be to create a batch file that prompts you and then runs SyncBackPro using those supplied directories:

Code: Select all

@echo off
set /p source="Enter source directory: "
set /p dest="Enter destination directory: "
"C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBackPro\SyncBackPro.exe" -source %source% -dest %dest% myprofile
Note the above assume you are using 64-bit SyncBackPro and that your profile is called myprofle (change as appropriate). Save it to a batch file, e.g. myprofile.bat, on your desktop. Then just double-click it to run it and be prompted for the directories.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Prompt for variable value on profile start

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, you could also/instead set up the (or 'a') profile to use the Windows Shell Extension that comes with Pro (only), so that you could right-click a folder or drive in File Explorer and specify which profile to use to 'feed' the contents of the folder/drive you selected to a Destination. This destination can either be hard-wired (in the profile) or it can be prompted for after the right-click (the response to the prompt then overrides the 'wired' Destination)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13450

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12618&