Q: Important information to include in a technical support ticket / request
Support Ticketing is only available for commercial licensees or by prior invitation. For freeware please visit the Forum. Read our Support Policy for the full details.
When submitting a support ticket for technical support please make sure you have done the following first:
If you still need to submit a support ticket then include the following information at a minimum:
- Take a look at the extensive Help file (within the program press F1 at any time for context sensitive help).
- An online version of the Help file is also available.
- Search our Knowledge Base to see if the question has already been asked and answered.
- Search the forums to see if someone else has asked the same question.
- You should also check to see if you are using the latest version of the program, and if not, update your profile and test again.
It may be difficult to believe, but we do occasionally get support tickets that just say “It doesn’t work, why not?”. As we do not possess extra-sensory perception, it is impossible to answer those questions without being given more information. Provide that information in your initial support request to save time both for yourself and for us.
- Which operating system you are using, e.g. Windows Vista 32-bit SP2, Windows 7 64-bit SP1...
- Which version of the software you are using, e.g. SyncBackPro V188.8.131.52. Note that we do not provide technical support for our freeware, e.g. SyncBack V3 freeware, SyncBackFree V6 or later, InfoHesive EP
- Describe how to reproduce the problem. If we can reproduce the problem then it makes things much simpler.
- If your user interface is not in English then please change the language to English. This can be done via Preferences -> Language in the main menu. This will ensure the logs and error messages are in English, which is the only language in which we currently provide technical support.
- With SyncBackPro/SE you can have SyncBackPro/SE create a Support Zip file on your desktop containing the profile, its log files, and other information via Help -> Technical Support Wizard in the main menu. You can then attach that Support Zip file to the support ticket. This article provides more details.
- If there are any error messages in the log file then copy and paste them into the support ticket. This is very important. Without knowing what the error is, we cannot help. If you use the Technical Support Wizard then there is generally no need to do this for information generated by SyncBackPro/SE, as the information will normally be in the Support Zip file.
- If any error messages appear on screen (for example, Windows error messages), state what the error message was. Better still, provide a screenshot.
- If the problem is with an FTP server, then state which kind of FTP server you are using. Try using another FTP client program, with the same FTP settings to see if it is a network or FTP server problem. It will also reduce the time it takes to resolve the problem if you attach the debug file (see this article for details).
- If the problem is with emailing, then state which kind of email server you are using. Try using another email client program with the same email settings to see if it is a network or email server problem. It will also reduce the time it takes to resolve the problem if you attach the debug file (see this article for details).
- Please remember that we can only work with the information you provide. If you provide little information then there is little we can do to resolve the problem.