Multi-part zip file and 7-Zip problem

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/

Multi-part zip file and 7-Zip problem

Postby wilhelmmedetz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:14 am

Hello,

when I create a multi-part zip file and try to open it with 7-Zip I always get an error message from 7-Zip, stating that it is not a valid zip file.
Canging the type of compression has no influence. I also tried to rename the zip files (as described in the documentaion for Winzip), bit this also did not work.

Is there any way to open multi-part zip files with 7-Zip?

Many thanks for any help.

Wilhelm
wilhelmmedetz

Postby mickyj » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:47 am

Hi, as it says in the help file:
The naming standard used by SyncBackPro for split Zip files is different from that used by WinZip and possibly other compression utilities. For example, the following files may be created:

Test.zip
Test.z02
Test.z03

If you attempt to open the Zip file using WinZip it will incorrectly report that the Zip file is corrupt. If you wish to open the Zip file using WinZip you must rename the files as follows:

Rename test.zip to test.z01

Rename test.z03 to test.zip (i.e. change the extension of the last file to .zip)
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby wilhelmmedetz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:11 am

I tried renaming the files as suggested, bit it did not work for 7-Zip.

Wilhelm
wilhelmmedetz

Postby mickyj » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:55 am

Hi, it seems 7-zip have changed something because it works perfectly fine using WinRAR. I don't know why, but 7-zip now wants Zip filenames to be in the format filename.zip.001, filename.zip.002, etc. Not sure why they changed it, or how you're supposed to rename the Zip files. Will look at it later.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby mickyj » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:14 am

Hi, after further tests it appears 7-Zip simply cannot open split Zip files created by other compression utilities. I tried renaming the Zip files to the naming standard used by 7-Zip, but it would not open the Zip file (it thought there was a Zip file in the Zip file, and after extracting that the resultant Zip file could not be opened). I also tried to get 7-Zip to open a split Zip file created using the latest version of WinZip (using the old compression standard, not their new one) and it couldn't open that one either.

There are no problem with WinZip or WinRAR opening split Zip files (after renaming them), but 7-zip won't work with them.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Return to SyncBackPro (commercial)