CAN SINCBACK RUN AS A SYSTEM SERVICE??

Do not post questions here! For reporting errors or missing information in help files, translations, documentation, etc. for all 2BrightSparks software and the web site.

CAN SINCBACK RUN AS A SYSTEM SERVICE??

Postby roni77 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:51 am

I'm using SyncBack version 4.2.1.0.

I hope you can help me.
About sincback software i have a huge question.
I'm using 2brightSparks and all the jobs ARE DEFINED UNDER a user ... i want to transfer the jobs to run like a SYSTEM SERVICE. To run even if the user is logged off.
Allmoust all my syncback jobs are defined under 'User' account. I did this, because if I use 'Administrator' account, I logged on and off often and it was cancelling My syncback jobs. I want to know if i can make syncback job running also after I 'log out' from the 'remote desktop'.

Postby Dave Wilkins » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi

First off, I strongly recommend you download thje latest version (4.4.14.0) - you are so many versions behind I have no time to count how many. You can download the latest version > > here < <, and it can be installed directly over the top of the version you have - no need to uninstall

Secondly, no, SBSE does not run as a service. It will, however, run via the Task Scheduler (if that service is working OK...), using the credentials of whoever created the SB profiles (by default the profiles are user-specific, being stored in the AppData branch of user-profiles). There is an option to store new profiles centrally in the program folder (note that this does not move existing profiles - you need to do that manually if you want to move any). Storing profiles in the Program Files branch can have its own consequences re user-privileges, though (standard users often do not have access there, especially in domains/AD)

You can set profiles to run via Scheduled Tasks every x minutes if you want to, but I don't think you can have them running permanently, if that is what you wanted (for example, I don't think a profile set to backup On Change will trigger properly unless someone is logged in and that profile is running permanently in the background)

Hope this clarifies
Rgds
DW
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Tx for help dwilkins11c

Postby roni77 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:02 pm

I had downloaded the last version and i will upgreaded.
Tx alot for help. I will inform you with my evolution. Hope if i encounter any problems you can help me.

Thanks alot again.
roni77

Postby roni77 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:54 am

dwilkins11c wrote:Hi

...by default the profiles are user-specific, being stored in the AppData branch of user-profiles). There is an option to store new profiles centrally in the program folder (note that this does not move existing profiles - you need to do that manually if you want to move any). Storing profiles in the Program Files branch can have its own consequences re user-privileges, though (standard users often do not have access there, especially in domains/AD)

DW

Need help again.
I cannot find the option to save the profle to another location like Program File. The test profile i created with the version 4.4.14 of syncback it can be seen by multiple acounts (this was what i needed), and second to test if the job fails after loging off (the process strats if i'm not logged but dont know if i log off if its stoping)...
Can someoane help me how can i solve this using 'task scheduler' ..
The server i administrate needs to do the syncback in the night i have a special profile created for syncbacks but the jobs fails when i log off.
I need all jobs to be visible for all users who log on to server. Second i want syncback jobs moved to Program Files and the jobs do not fail when i log off . Is this possible?

Thanks in advance... i will check the page all day because is a little urgent ;)
roni77

Postby Dave Wilkins » Tue May 27, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi
Saving new profiles in the SyncBackSE program folder: Preferences menu > Options > [opens a dialog called Global Settings] > Expert tab > top group, select first option (don't use Automatic - that is only used if SBSE is installed on a memory stick, etc)

To move profiles to the program folder, you can do this manually (select all the files beginning with the profile name, regardless of any text after the name or file extension; sorting by Name helps tremendously. After a successful move, you should delete the copy in the AppData folder or SBSE will perhaps be confused, as it checks both locations when loading.

Or, you can re-create the profiles (using a slightly different name) in the new location.

You can do this using Export/Import, but because SBSE looks in each location, you need to delete or move the old profiles after Export, because when trying to re-Import the profiles, SBSE wants to use the same names again, and if they are displayed already (which they will be if you have not deleted or moved them), life will get complicated. It's actually easier to move them manually. But you might want to make a manual backup of each AppData\SBSE* folder first, using Explorer

* I'm using shorthand here, as the full path varies between OS's. In XP it would be the SyncBackSE subfolder of the [username]\Local Settings\Application Data\2BrightSparks\ branch

I do not know what your problem is with the scheduling. You have not posted any details of what is recorded (if anything) in the scheduler log, you have not supplied your OS. Have you checked Event Log? One possibility is that you have checked (selected) the option in the scheduler 'Run only if logged in' (or similar). You may not have, but you don't say. It sounds like either that issue, or there is a problem with username/password as supplied to or as stored by the scheduled task. I understand some users having problems with Scheduler have solved them by deleting all Tasks, rebooting, then creating it/them again. This apparently clears the security database the scheduler uses, which can go corrupt and cause very strange problems

But please bear in mind if the scheduled task is simply failing to start (no errors in the scheduler log), this is a Windows issue. If the scheduled task (for example) cannot see the profile you are asking SBSE to load, there should be an error message in the Scheduler log. But you might find an error relating to 'incorrect credentials' too...

Rgds
DW
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Thanks alot

Postby roni77 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:00 am

Thanks for helping me again. If i have any problems i will pm you.
Good luck.
roni77

Postby Dave Wilkins » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:37 pm

Please don't PM me unless it's something confidential (not for the whole forum to see). Keeping posts visible to all helps other people. Also, you can't simply scroll back through a thread to see who said what, when & why. You end up jumping from forum to Inbox to Sent Items to :x

Rgds
DW
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Thanks

Postby Fusion » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks Dave Wilkins,I've found my solution too. :D
Fusion

Return to Help files, documentation, translations, etc.