Out-of-date Date (eh?)

Do not post questions here! For reporting errors or missing information in help files, translations, documentation, etc. for all 2BrightSparks software and the web site.

Out-of-date Date (eh?)

Postby Dave Wilkins » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:17 pm

Your Help file has (I assume) out-of-date copyright info in the section Legal Information \ Credits, namely

2BrightSparks Pte Ltd © 2003 - 2006

Not something to rush back to the office for, but thought you might want to know :)

Rgds
DW
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby mickyj » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:25 am

Thanks, I'll inform Mike.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Dave Wilkins » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:46 am

While you're at it - there is a bit in Quick Start \ Importing V3 Profiles that reads

In the example above, a profile called Upgrading SyncBackSE may be affected

Problem is, there is no such profile in the 'example(s) above'. The example profile used is (some might say 'confusingly') called 'SyncBack Freeware'. It even specifically says so (in quotes, no less) in the screenshot dialog immediately above the bit of body text in question

Rgds
DW
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby mike » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:25 am

Hi, thanks for bringing these issues relating to the SyncBackSE help file to our attention. We're working on a new update for SyncBackSE and will make sure the appropriate improvements are made with this release.

The passage you refer to in your second post has a screenshot which advises:

"...you are strongly advised to review the following profiles sub-folder selections..." followed by the name of the sub-folder which should be reviewed, not the profile:

"SyncBack Freeware".

We will change the program window text so it has the appropriate apostrophe: "...the following profile's sub-folder..."

The text below will be changed to:

"In the example above, a profile called Upgrading SyncBackSE which has the sub-folder "SyncBack Freeware" may be affected."

Thanks for helping to improve our support resources.

Kind Regards,

Mike de Sousa
2BrightSparks Pte Ltd
www.2brightsparks.com

Power with Ease - Indispensable Utility Software
mike
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Dave Wilkins » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:01 pm

Mike - I think you might want to have another look at this.

Re your comment "In the example above, a profile called Upgrading SyncBackSE which has the sub-folder "SyncBack Freeware" may be affected." - either you have grabbed 'the wrong end of the stick' (or perhaps a different stick..) or I have...

Here's where I have a problem. The profile is/was plainly called 'SyncBack Freeware' (see title bar in SyncBack Freeware Screenshot). The same profile name ('SyncBack Freeware') is referenced in the title bar of SyncBackSE V4.1 Screenshot. In neither of these screenshots is there any reference to a profile called Upgrading SyncBackSE. Nor is there any reference to a folder or subfolder called SyncBack Freeware. The Source textbox in the SyncBack Freeware screenshot clearly shows the path to be

C:\Documents & Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Business\My Folders\

and the subfolders thereof are displayed in the selection window as (variously) 'sub-directory-1', 'sub-directory-1.1', 'sub-directory-1.1.1', etc. Nowhere in this tree does a subfolder called 'SyncBack Freeware' appear.

The SyncBackSE 4.1 screenshot also references the same path (with subfolders appended) in its Status bar (below the command buttons). Again, no folder called 'SyncBack Freeware' is visible anywhere in the screenshot. But 'SyncBack Freeware' is once again the name of the profile that is being imported

So, to say "...a profile called Upgrading SyncBackSE which has the sub-folder "SyncBack Freeware" may be affected", is patently not the case, unless the Warning message-box refers to a completely different example? There is no profile called 'Upgrading SyncBackSE' above (anyway, shouldn't it be 'Upgrading to SyncBackSE'?), and there is no folder called 'SyncBack Freeware - but a profile called 'SyncBack Freeware' is the subject of the two large screenshots...

In my view, all that needs changing is the sentence

In the example above, a profile called Upgrading SyncBackSE may be affected

so that the words 'Upgrading SyncBackSE' are replaced by 'SyncBack Freeware' - to match the profile name so plainly displayed in the two large screenshots.

Rgds
DW

BTW - re the screenshot caption/legend

SyncBackSE V4.1 Screenshot

as you are about to release v4.3*, you might want to either change '.1' to '.3', or drop the '.1' altogether?

* How do I know? MickyJ just sent me a pre-release for some bug-testing...
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

And another thing...

Postby Dave Wilkins » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:26 pm

And...

The section we have been talking about (Importing V3 Profiles) starts with the text

Upgrading from SyncBack/SE V3 to SyncBackSE V4

If you've been using SyncBack/SE V3 you would have already created profiles. To import your profiles you'll be asked to browse to the appropriate location on your computer

Go on, then - tell me how to browse to the Registry :wink: (which is where SyncBack/SE V3 profiles are/were stored)

Yes, I know, the process is automated (given the non-browsable aspect, it would have to be...), but this text implies there is a manual method.

Also, the phrase If you installed SyncBack/SE V3 using the default settings, SyncBackSE V4 will locate your profiles automatically suggests that if you didn't (use the standard install folder, I assume this refers to), then the auto-import would fall over. Doesn't the profiles-stored-in-registry aspect mean the process is folder-independent?

Rgds
DW
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Return to Help files, documentation, translations, etc.