Fast Backup - Differential

Do not post questions here! For reporting errors or missing information in help files, translations, documentation, etc. for all 2BrightSparks software and the web site.

Fast Backup - Differential

Postby tanstaafl » Tue May 15, 2007 1:33 pm

Hi,

I just want to clarify whether the Help file is correct or this is a typo...

It says:

****************** Begin Quoted

? Differential backup (do not update the fast backup data): If this option is ticked then a fast backup works much the same as a differential backup. This means that only new or modified files since the last full backup are copied from the source to the destination. If you are not using variables, e.g. %DAYOFWEEK%, in the destination then you can leave this option unticked as it will make no difference.

For example, if your destination is X:\%DAYOFWEEK%\, and you force a rescan on Mondays, then your Monday backup will be a full backup. Your Tuesday backup will contain new and changed files since Monday, Wednesday?s backup will contain new and changed files since Monday, etc.

******************* End Quoted

Was that last supposed to say:

... Wednesday's backup will contain new and changed files since *Tuesday*, etc.

Or, is it correct that Tuesday thru Fridays would all contain changed files as compared to the Monday (when a rescan is forced)?

Thanks
tanstaafl
Expert
Expert

Postby mickyj » Tue May 15, 2007 3:06 pm

Hi, incremental is a backup of the new/changed files since the last incremental or full (rescan) backup. Differential is a backup of the new/changed files since the last full (rescan) backup. The help file is correct.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby tanstaafl » Tue May 15, 2007 5:23 pm

Ok, so, just so I understand this...

Target = Path\To\Backups\weekly\%DAYOFWEEK%\
Force Rescan when %DAYOFWEEK% = 1

Fast Backup Enabled.

Not checking 'Differential backup...' basically means it will be an incremental backup, so:

Mondays (1) will be a full backup, Tuesdays backup will be only changed files since Mondays backup, Wednesdays backup will only be changed files since Tuesdays backup, etc.

If I check 'Differential backup...', then:

Mondays (1) will be full backups, Tuesdays backup will be only changed files since Mondays backup, Wednesdays backup will be *all* changed files since *Mondays* backup (including ones that were backed up on Tuesday), etc.

Is that right?

Thanks for being patient with me - I just want to be sure I understand exactly how these work.

I'm beginning to see lots of power here... :)
tanstaafl
Expert
Expert

Postby tanstaafl » Tue May 15, 2007 5:41 pm

Hmm...

Now, what happens if I start these backups on a day other than Monday?

I just changed these, and it prompted me to force a rescan - does that mean tonights backup (going into directory \2\ for Tuesday) will be a Full backup?

These backups are really big, so this will definitely cause problems if I get too many Full backups on the same destination.

Thanks!
tanstaafl
Expert
Expert

Postby mickyj » Thu May 17, 2007 1:04 pm

tanstaafl wrote:Now, what happens if I start these backups on a day other than Monday?

Hi, but you already answered your own question in your previous post :lol: Full-backups on Mondays, incremental or differential on other days.
I just changed these, and it prompted me to force a rescan - does that mean tonights backup (going into directory \2\ for Tuesday) will be a Full backup?

I don't know what you changed, but if it told you it was going to do a rescan, then it will.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby tanstaafl » Thu May 17, 2007 1:20 pm

Ok, but... if the Full/Monday backup hasn't been done yet, what will it Diff against?

I just want to be sure I understand what is *supposed* to happen. If the Wednesday backup is a full backup, then the next Monday/Full backup will FAIL, because there is not enough room for two FULL backups on some of the destinations I'm using...

See what I'm asking? If the Monday/Full backup is empty, and I start this backup on a Wednesday, then would the Wednesday backup be a FULL backup?

If so, then when the first Monday/Full backup occurs, I would, at that point, need to have space for two Full backups - whcih I do have on some destinations, but on others I do not...

Thanks for being patient in helping me to understand this...
tanstaafl
Expert
Expert

Postby tanstaafl » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:08 am

Ok, this has caused me a number of problems in the last couple of months, when adding new hosts to my backup pool...

Most of the drives on these computers only have enough free space for one backup set. When I add a new host in the middle of the month (or week, if it is a weekly backup), then that first nights run results in a full backup - then, on the first day of the week/month (when I selected it to force a rescan), *another* full backup happens - which fails, because there isn't enough room. From that day on, I get errors every night...

I'd like an option for these kinds of backups to 'Start backup on first day of [week][month] (whatever you have selected for the forced rescan day).

This way I could add new hosts and not have to remember to enable them on their first day.

Does this make sense to anyone?
tanstaafl
Expert
Expert

Postby mickyj » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:02 am

mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Return to Help files, documentation, translations, etc.