Password protect/encrypt backup drive

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/

Password protect/encrypt backup drive

Postby viegasbennett » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:11 am

I use external USB drives for our backups. I need to password protect and encrypt these AND allow for easy restore options for individual files, folders or the whole drive. Ideally I would like to use versioning.

As far as I understand, the ZIP solution on SyncBackSE is not good as either I have to protect one enormous ZIP file (we are talking maybe 300 GB data) with a single password or each file (of tens of thousands) has its own password. The pw is the same for all files but on extracting/restoring would have to be re-entered for each file for a big restore, which is a nightmare.

Am I right or am I misunderstanding something? If I am right how can I meet my ideal need (see first para): protecting a whole drive with versioning? Do I need SyncBackPro?
viegasbennett

Postby Dave Wilkins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi

None of our software (SE or Pro) encrypts an entire drive, sorry. Only at the file level, via Compression with Encryption. If you wanted to use Versioning, you would need to encrypt files individually (Versioning doesn't work with 'one big Zip', due to restrictions in Moving files inside one)
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Password protect/encrypt backup drive

Postby Dave Wilkins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:42 pm

viegasbennett wrote:The pw is the same for all files but on extracting/restoring would have to be re-entered for each file for a big restore, which is a nightmare

Depends if you change it. Passwords are stored at the file level (in either format) so if they are all the same password (not changed between runs, so that later files use different passwords to older ones) the Restore process will remember the last password entered (or, embedded in the profile, if applicable)

Any password 'in force' by whatever method will be tried first for each file, and you will only be prompted for another if it fails. It will then become the 'password in force;' until the next failure. And so on. If all passwords are the same, you'd only get prompted max once (if not embedded anyway)
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Restore process will remember the last password entered

Postby viegasbennett » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Dave - many thanks for that. I do use the same password throughout, from the profile, so I should be OK. I had envisaged having to enter the password thousands of times if I needed to do a full restore. So, my "nightmare" scenario really was just a bad dream! Phew!
viegasbennett

Return to SyncBackSE (commercial)